Sabudana Ki Khichdi(साबूदाने की खिचड़ी )
Summary: Tapioca pearls/Sag/Sabudana are cooked with potatoes and crushed peanuts. It is usually made during fasting days like Navratri, Mahashivratri, Ekadashi or Chaitra Navratri. It’s a perfect recipe during fasting days.
- Sago (sabudana) 1 1/2 cups
- Peanuts 1/4 cup
- Green chillies 4-5
- Potato 1 medium
- Ghee 3 tablespoons
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
- Fresh coconut scraped 2 tablespoons
- Fresh coriander leaves a few sprigs
- Wash sabudana two to three times and then soak in one-cup water for three to four hours.
- Sabudana grains should be separate and moist.
- Roast peanuts on a hot griddle, peel off the skin and then grind coarsely.
- Wash green chillies, remove stem and then chop finely.
- Peel and wash the potato and cut into half cm. cubes.
- Wash and chop coriander leaves.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add curry leaves, cumin seeds and chopped green chillies.
- When cumin seeds crackle add the potato cubes.
- Cook till the potatoes are done.
- Add sabudana, scraped coconut and ground peanuts, sauté for four to five minutes, stirring well.
- Sprinkle a little water, add salt and lime juice.
- Mix well. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot
- Instead of boiled potatoes you can add chopped potatoes and cook it in the pan.We prefer to cook the potatoes in advance before adding to khichdi. Add salt while cooking potatoes as they will absorb salt and makes it tasty.
- The addition of groundnut powder adds a nice taste to khichdi. Usually use mortar and pestle to crush groundnuts and also keep them slightly coarse.The bits of groundnuts adds a nice crunch and taste while eating khichdi.
- While soaking Sago add water to it until it is just above the level.This amount of water is enough and its a basic thumb rule to get nice non sticky Khichdi.
Tagged: fasting recipe, khichdi, sabudana, sabudana khichdi
Comments are closed.