Recipe: Kashmiri Kheer
- Soak the rice in clean water for almost 2 hours before cooking it.
- Soak dry almonds, dates and cashew nuts in warm water for at least an hour. Pare the coconut using a knife and shave it into small pieces.
- Steam the raisins and wash all the ingredients before using them.
- Take a bowl and fill 1/4th of the bowl with raisins, cashew nuts and almond kernels. Keep it aside.
- Mix the milk powder with 1 cup of milk in another bowl. Boil the milk in the body of the pressure cooker.
- Soak the water from the rice and add it to the milk in the pressure cooker.
- Stir the mixture well and close it. Develop maximum pressure and then reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat and add sugar.
- Now, put the open cooker back on the heat and keep stirring it. Add almond kernels, date, raisins, coconut and cashew nuts while you are stirring the mixture.
- Cook the mixture for at least 10 mins. Now, add the milk and milk powder mixture to the kheer and keep stirring it. Cook for 5 minutes until the nuts turn soft and a homogenous mixture of kheer is ready. Remove the cooker from the stove, cool and serve it cold.
Garnish the kheer with grinded pistachio nuts and saffron. Add the Kewra essence while serving it. Sprinkle green cardamom/black cardamom powder after serving it in the bowl.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4