Goverdhan Halva is made from pecans and farina blended with milk, butter and orange peels. A delicious irresistible Halva.
Recipe: Goverdhan Halva
Summary: Goverdhan Halva is made from pecans and farina blended with milk, butter and orange peels. A delicious irresistible Halva.
- Put 2 ½ gallons milk on to boil at high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. In a big wok melt 4 lb. butter (have 2 ½ lb. more butter unwrapped nearby).
- When butter melted, add 15 cups farina and mix in. Let sit at high heat till browned, then stir, being careful not to burn.
- When browning too fast to keep up with, turn down heat a bit. When milk comes to a boil turn it to a rolling boil that does not boil over, and let it boil for 10 minutes or so, then add 15 cups sugar, stirring until dissolved over high heat.
- Bring boiling back to rolling boil.
- While the farina is getting golden brown, toast 5 cups of pecans fully brown, and zest or chop the peel from 3 oranges. Add 5 cups raisins to the boiling milk and add the pecans to the farina.
- Not more than 5 minutes later, add the remaining butter to the grains.
- When the butter is melted, add the orange peel to the milk, stir for 5 seconds and then start adding the grains to the milk. Bring to boil, stirring thoroughly.
- Then turn off heat and stir till thick. When cooled, scoop out and use to shape Govardhan’s foundation.
Preparation time: 5-10
Number of servings (yield): 4