Rogan josh (or roghan josh) is an aromatic dish of persian origin, which is one of the signature recipes of Kashmiri Cuisine. Rogan means “oil” while josh means “heat, hot, boiling, or passionate”. Rogan josh thus means cooked in oil at intense heat.This desi dish is extremely rich in vitamin b . In addition to it’s nutritious values this dish also tastes excellent . This one is for vegetarian.
- 500 gms yam(or suran)
- 125 gms tomatoes
- 1 tsp corriander(dhania) seeds
- 5 to 6 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- 1 inch ginger(adrak)
- 1/2 tsp cummins(jeera) seeds
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic(lehsun)
- 125 gms onions
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 drops of red color(to give a red texture for which rogan josh is know)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg(jaiphal) powder
- 1/4 tsp mace(javitri) powder
- salt to taste
- coriander(dhania) for garnishing
- Cut suran(yam) into squarish ’1′ pieces.Boil it in salt water
- Chop onion finely.
- Deseed the chillies.
- Make a paste of chillies,ginger,garlic,coriander,jeera & little onion.
- Blanch the tomatoes.
- De skin it & chop.
- Saute the onion in ghee till brown.
- Put the ground paste &stir.
- When done put the tomatoes &stir.
- Add salt.
- Add suran to it.put a little water.
- Put nutmeg & javitri powder & 2 drops of red colour.
- Switch off the flame after a boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Your Kashmiri Rogan josh is ready and yes its vegetarian.